Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index Visit our homepage

The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Literature » Dylan Thomas "Under Milk Wood"
Dylan Thomas "Under Milk Wood"
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote
shahnlgh

Hi, there!

Some years ago I read "Under Milk Wood" by Dylan Thomas. Since I grew up speaking German I sometimes do not understand every detail - which in this case bothered me because I really liked the play.

I found the complete text (legally) on the internet - just in case somebody might be interested -: http://www.undermilkwood.net/prose_umw1.html

Right in the first few lines you may read: The houses are blind as moles (though moles see fine tonight in the snouting, velvet dingles) or blind as Captain Cat...

The one word ("snouting") I put into bold-face because I do not really get the meaning. I know the words "snout" and "dingle" - but the combination of these is absolutely unclear to me. Does it refer to the form of the dingles?

As you can see this really is of no great importance, but I am searching for an explanation for some years... Wink

Thanks a lot

Sebastian
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:11 am Reply with quote
Mister Micawber

I'm no great Dylan Thomas expert, Sebastian, but I've always taken most of that for sound play as much as strict sense-- merely the image of moles 'seeing' with their snouts as they nose about in the 'black and folded town'.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:33 am Reply with quote
Eileen Ann

Yes, would agree with that interpretation of "snouting". In England, if people say that someone is "snouting" it means that they are potentially being "nosey". Literally, pushing one's nose into someone else's business. There is a saying "Keep your snout out of my business" or "keep your big snout out!!" which I do not hear so much nowadays but it was definitely prevalent even ten or twenty years' ago. If you do say that to someone, it is definitely abrupt and rude. So, in this context, it is literally pushing one's snout through the closed curtains to peer at what is going on.

Another context for "snout" can be that of a police or private detective. Someone who snouts around for evidence. Thus called a "snout" - a seeker out of what is going on or has gone on.

A snout can be a substitute for the word "nose". What a big "snout" she has!
Dylan Thomas "Under Milk Wood"
  The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Literature