Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index Visit our homepage

The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Rude words » names and such
names and such
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
webhill

OK, first of all, was it a word nerd who commented somewhere about Brad and Angelina's new baby girl's name? You know, what if the Reverend Spooner got ahold of the name "Shiloh Pitt?" Tragedy waiting to happen.

Also... did anyone see Stephen Colbert's "gay pride week" episode, in which he ranted about how gay people stole the word gay and the word out and the word closet and it was totally unfair because those were words he liked to use and yada yada yada? I was dying laughing. Let me see if I can find an actual quote... Oh, ok- here:

"You know, I am really steamed. I marched in a parade this weekend; the poster said it was in honor of my favorite emotion: Pride. Well it turns out it was a gay pride parade. And I didn't find out until after I'd marched for three hours shouting, "I am Stephen Colbert, and I am proud to be out." By which I clearly meant outside: it was a lovely day... Apparently this whole week is Gay Pride Week. Now, I've got no problem with gay people, except for my many problems with gay people. But why do they have to steal the word "Pride"? It's yet another attempt by the homo-lexicographical agenda to turn our dictionaries gay. They already took the word "gay" and gayed it all up. I used to use that word all the time - then they stole rainbows and closets."

Did you hear that? The HOMOLEXICOGRAPHICAL AGENDA?? BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

In case it is not clear, I am not a bigot and I do not believe Mr. Colbert is either. Just to make sure that's stated up front (or at the end as the case may be)!

-h.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:49 am Reply with quote
nillo

Smile We indeed have stolen back the word Gay and also taken Pride on as well. The list of heterophobic words in my community is growing as well as times goes by. The more the majority puts pressure down on the minority, we are getting words beyond the typical "breeder" insult. Words like heterofuckingtastic (or heterotastic), heterorific, breedapalooza, breedalicious, etc. It is interesting to watch "rude" language progress as a reaction to oppression. I don't agree with using "rude words" in return for another's "rude words" though and have left these out of my lexicon. Much peace ....
Re: names and such
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
stringd

Hilary, God bless Stephen Colbert.

Found this rather wonderful explanation and etymology of British profanities.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/A753527

The abstracted list of words (in deference to the filters): arse, bum, b**ls-, fanny (differs in the UK), c**t, f**k, s**t, p**s, s**g, b*****ks, b**ch and b****rd, p*****k, and w****r.

Caveat lector.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Dave

That's a cool link; thanks.

I'm amused, however, by the fact that I have to do a lot of filling-in of the blanks to figure out just exactly what rude word is being explicated on the BBC site. For example, the word "bollocks," which is a British equivalent for what we'd in the US call "balls" (i.e., testicles), took me quite awhile to understand.

I have not set up any word censors here on the forum site, and I've labeled the Rude Words forum with a warning on the front page, so we may feel free to spell out those very rude words here. I am assuming we are all adults (of whatever age).

The one kind of speech I'll be inclined to moderate heavily or censor is the general category or concept of "hate speech"--and by that I mean cruel expressions that are directed against some group or individual here on the board.

For example, I don't mean we may never spell out the word "nigger," but I do mean that I don't want to read that word used to refer to a person or group here on the forum.

Perhaps I need to develop a sticky topic containing guidelines for discussion of rude words? Problem is, I don't know exactly where to begin.

http://davesmidlife.com
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:30 pm Reply with quote
webhill

Maybe we should develop a user-generated FAQ that is a sticky. It could be periodically updated by an adminstrator on an as-needed basis. I have some suggestions for inclusion in version 1.0:

Q. Is it ok to say "fuck" in this forum?
A. Fuck yeah! We are all about discussion of words here, even rude, obscene, or explicit ones. Please keep discussion of such words in the "rude words" forum.

Q. Well, then, can I say "fuck you?"
A. Only if you want to discuss the origin or development of the phrase. For example, "Does anyone know if the phrase 'fuck you' was first used by James T. Barnwiddle in 1581, or if it came along later," is perfectly acceptable. But "Fuck you, you loser, you don't even know how to spell, you ain't no Word Nerd," is unacceptable usage on this forum.

Q. Are there any words which can never be used on this forum?
A. No. But there are inappropriate usages, as described in the previous answer. It's ok to talk about an ugly word, but not to use it in an ugly way.

I could go on, but I actually have to run right now. I'm sure you get the drift Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Dave

Ahem. Shocked

Yes, that's exactly the idea! This is certainly a proper start, and in fact, it does express exactly the principles I was trying to articulate earlier.

http://davesmidlife.com
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
sam

They bleep out "bollocks" on British TV shows? Ha! Spike used to say it all the time on Buffy!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:55 am Reply with quote
Bloomer

Steven Colbert IS a freaking genius, fersher. Way too clever. Of course, his comedic parody credentials are solid, so no mistaking him for a homophobe.

I'd heard "breeder" before but none of the others that Nillo pointed out. I think s/he's right: in a respectful and open forum, we can learn a lot about each other by the rude words we use. My Caucasian American wife used to date a black American guy. As a vocabulary lesson, they shared rude words that they knew members of their race used for the other race. It was enlightening, she said. Has anyone done such an interracial list this forum?

Bollocks (as testicles) was new to me. I was at a pier in Victoria, in a city outside of Melbourne (Geelong, I think). I thought the pier-posts carved andn painted to look like people were called bollocks. Maybe it's another word I'm thinking of....
names and such
  The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Rude words