Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index Visit our homepage

The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Grammar » Think Different!
Think Different!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quote
technolinguist

A few years ago, Apple ran these advertisements with famous people who apparently "think different". The inner nerd in me thought "shouldn't that be think differently"? Differently is an adverb that modifies "to think". But then again, maybe it was deliberate to call attention to the fact that the famous people "thought outside the box" and could hence break conventional rules (of grammar) in this case. So my question is did the ad company knowingly do this? Maybe someone has a another opinion on this. An effective ad, nevertheless.

andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Dennis

You may be on the right track about it being deliberate, but I'm gussing that they simply used phrasing that might sit better with theri target audience. Are you old enough to remember that old cigarette slogan "tastes good like a cigarette should"?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
Bloomer

TL,

This was actually a T/F question on the mini-quiz up on my old website. (Reminds me that I've got to get a quiz up on the new one!)

Anyway, in addition to making cool computers and related gadgetry, Apple also knew what they were talking about, grammatically speaking.

Look at it this way, it's not how they're asking you to think; it's how they're asking you to be. The parallel is Think Big! (You'd never say "Think bigly.") The message is, "Think thoughts (or goals) which are big." Correspondingly, Jobs & Co. want you to think in a way which makes you different. Think of yourself as different.

Hope this helps. I'd probably be able to think of more examples if it weren't so late and I weren't so tired and getting up early in the morning.

Good night,
Alan
Think Different!
  The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Grammar