Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index Visit our homepage

The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Literature » What is the last book you reread? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Dave

LitMajorGirl wrote:
In this blip, Vonnegut's alter ego, Kilgore Trout, has written a short story, which he promptly trashes as with all his other work, about a psychiatrist named Dr. Schadenfreude.

Well, as an avid and dedicated listener of The Word Nerds, this name jumped out at me. I pondered over whether this name is tied to the often referred to German phrase that Dave has explained in the podcast to mean (and mind you I'm paraphrasing here) "taking pleasure or gain from another's dispair or failure".

I have not taken German (however I am hoping to enroll by the end of senior year of high school; I'm just starting the second semester of my junior year) but would like to know if this name corrolates to the German phrase.

You are exactly right. I love the name Schadenfreude for a psychiatrist. "Freude" is joy or pleasure, "Schade" is damage or harm. Put 'em together and you got a happy feeling when something bad happens to somebody else.

Would YOU want a psychiatrist with that name?

TAKE GERMAN!

http://davesmidlife.com
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
LitMajorGirl

I am currently concentrating on French IV, the AP version, but I am truly intrigued by German. Not to flatter myself, but I have a natural knack for languages and hope to start German I soon. The only thing preventing my enrollment is the fact of having to juggle the German correspondence course through my local university and my heavy courseload at my high school. I really hope German is worth it, though. :]
What is the last book you reread?
  The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Literature