Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index Visit our homepage

The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Literature » The diversity of "Recreational" reading
The diversity of "Recreational" reading
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:37 pm Reply with quote
julie

On their summer reading episode, the Word Nerds talk about how different people define "Recreational" reading.

For me it's light stuff - usually Science Fiction and Fantasy or Mysteries - or travel guides.

I read a lot of more complex/literary novels, nonfiction and the light, but they are less "recreational" in my view.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Blumengarten

I have not listened to that episode yet, but I define it as something I read because I want to read it. So, it could, technically, run the gamut from science-fiction to technical books.

Non-recreational reading would be something I had to read, such as a textbook for a class. Usually in a situation where I had to read it by a certain time, and I had to read and understand it to the point where I could either answer questions on a test based on it, or discuss it with someone. The implication is that someone gives it to me and is going to "test" me on it in some capacity.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
shahnlgh

I haven't listened to this episode either, though I can confirm Blumengarten's point of view. As a teacher I do a lot of reading as preparation for class(es) - not all of it is my favourite choice.

When recreating I just read what I want to, sometimes switching rather often between several books.

In a certain sense listening to a good audio-book is one of my most recreational moments, I couldn't listen to a novel while working on something different - it would surely spoil the experience.
The diversity of "Recreational" reading
  The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Literature