Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index Visit our homepage

The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Rude words » Horseshit versus Bullshit
Horseshit versus Bullshit
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:43 am Reply with quote
Susan

I have heard this discussed-

Bullshit and Horseshit don't have the same meaning nuances. Saying somethings "bullshit" can imply a perhaps longer deception in the lie...? Maybe bullshit is a sommon somewhat benign belief that people hold.

Horseshit- the way I hear it used its for the more utterly absurd easily logically tested to be fallacy beliefs...."thats utter horseshit" holds a bit more comtempt in the statement.

Agree? Disagree? Discussion of nuances?

I rarely curse...too afraid they'll slip into my vocabulary in front of my kids or at work.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Megamatt

I think you're on the right track, Susan. I also like the phrase "Apeshit," which is usually used to describe somebody getting overly excited or angry. I can't hear "Apeshit" without chuckling.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Susan

Megamatt wrote:
I think you're on the right track, Susan. I also like the phrase "Apeshit," which is usually used to describe somebody getting overly excited or angry. I can't hear "Apeshit" without chuckling.

I agree, apeshit has a special and amusing meaning-- though when I hear the words clusterfuck I know its gonna be bad day at work and hope no one really will go apeshit as its non productive!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:20 am Reply with quote
RabiAkiva

It may also relate to the perception of bull and horse. Bullying is a different thing altogether from Horsing (around).
Horse is more playfull and bull more raw. Bullshit therefore has a more blunt and malicious tone to it. Horseshit is just plain nonsense, that could even be funny which bullshit never is.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Blumengarten

Actually I've always looked at it as bullshit being somewhat the norm. You go to a lawyer when you need to know the "legal bullshit" behind your case.

Your friend the salesperson sells more than anyone else because he can "bullshit with the best of them."

Beauracracy is all about "wading through the bullshit" to get to your goal.

And I've had many English teachers threaten to put on boots to wade through [the bullshit] some of us wrote in our papers to pad them (though, in High School at least, they wouldn't say the actual term, and at best--worst?--they'd say "bullcrap").

There is even a card game, usually played by pre-teens and teens (which is when I played it), called "bullshit".

And to me, there is nothing blunt or malicious about any of them. Annoying? Yes. Stupid? Absolutely. Mean? No.

To me, "horseshit" is when someone tires of the "bullshit" and no longer sees the absurdity in it.
Animal excrement
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Kaa

My favorite two I've ever heard are:

Slick as owl shit - I just don't know. But it's funny.

Batshit insane - My favorite phrase to use when something is completely ludicrous.

The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Rude words