Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index Visit our homepage

The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Literature » Any LibriVox fans here?
Any LibriVox fans here?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Doran Gaston

Does anyone here listen to the free public domain mp3/ogg vorbis audiobooks available at librivox.org? I haven't listened to very many of them, but I'm pretty impressed by what I've heard so far. The site asks for volunteers to record readings of books that are in the public domain. Some are solo readings while others are collaborative projects.
The recordings so far are mostly in English, but there are a some recordings available in other languages.

Right now, they have some recordings of novels, short stories, poems, parts of the Bible, and other things available as free downloads. For a while, I wondered about the quality and accuracy of the recordings, but apparently some quality control takes place to make sure that the readings are accurate. Of course, the gutenberg.org texts the readers use could have errors of their own, but some amount of proofreading takes place there too.

The site has a listing of upcoming projects. I'm looking forward to listening to the collaborative reading of Bierce's The Devil's Dictionary that's currently in the works.
Any LibriVox fans here?
  The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Literature