Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index Visit our homepage

The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Rude words » Expletives (87) Goto page 1, 2  Next
Expletives (87)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:31 am Reply with quote
Dave

This week Howard Shepherd and Dave Shepherd discuss all kinds of expletives--words used to fill out the rhythm of a sentence or expression. It's a bloody interesting topic, but it really does get quite fucking rude by the end of it.

Please share with us your favorite expletives and extended curses here.

http://davesmidlife.com
Bloody Hell
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:44 am Reply with quote
Kaz

I, too, am of a vintage to remember the prolific use of "expletive deleted" in the Watergate transcripts.

Your discussion of the UK rude word "bloody" reminded me of last year's disasterous Aussie tourism ads with the punch line "Where the bloody hell are you?" I believe it was initially banned in the UK.

--Karen in sunny Queensland Australia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
webhill

OK, this is too weird. I left a message at your blog about how I was disappointed that you guys didn't say "re-goddamn-diculous" during the show. HOWEVER, earlier today, my phone rang, and when I answered the phone and said "hello," a gentleman of a dubious nature replied "hi, it's me," and when I said "me? me who?" he said "don't give me that. I got your letter, and i just want to tell you it's completely unacceptable. In fact, the whole thing is getting to be re-goddamn-diculous and you'd better shape up." I said "excuse me but who are you?" and he said "isn't this barbara?" and I said "no," and he said "oh, nevermind" and hung up.

Hee hee. Did John Wayne have a girlfriend named Barbara? Maybe he's calling from the other side.

How 'bout these?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Kaa

There's a whole class of expletives you didn't talk about that I was hoping you'd get to. Things like "Egad!" or "Gadzooks!" I've even heard "egad" used on Sesame Street. I first heard it when I was about six or seven years old, and looked it up, and it said "A mild expletive." So then I had to look up "expletive"....

So, anyway, moving past "mild".... Smile

I've caught myself saying things like this, lately: "Fuckity FUCKity *FUCK!*" when I'm exceptionally angry. Or "Fuckity shit!" or even "God fuckity DAMN it!"

If I stop and think about it, I start to giggle, which is maybe not in keeping with how angry I am at the time, but there you have it.

And when you said you were going to get into "creative curses," I was hoping for things like "May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits!" or "You breathe air I need" (said to a friend of mine by someone who really, REALLY disliked him).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
webhill

Kaa wrote:

I've caught myself saying things like this, lately: "Fuckity FUCKity *FUCK!*" when I'm exceptionally angry. Or "Fuckity shit!" or even "God fuckity DAMN it!"

Oh, I say "fuck fuck fuckity fuck" when I get really upset. In fact, there is a whole group of my friends who have adopted that as a result.

The other thing that I thought of while listening to the show was something about the use of expletives - obscenities, really - in a professional setting. The Nerds discussed the use of such words in school, and how they wouldn't use the F word, for example, in the classroom (heaven forbid!) Smile

I agree - perhaps obviously (I hope so anyway) - that these words are not to be used in a professional setting. But, I have to admit, there was this one time when a cat had some bizarre idiosyncratic reaction to the drugs being used for induction of anesthesia and it freaked out and jumped literally a foot off the table and grabbed onto my arm (which was up in the air) on the way back down to the table. The cat's four canine teeth were deep in my bicep and I just kind of gasped and said "oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck get it the fuck off of me" or something very close to that. I'm told someone caught me on the way down, and the cat was removed from my arm after I passed out.

On the rare occasion I've been injured by a pet in front of a client, I've managed to grit my teeth and say "oh flugelhorn." That's usually good for a laugh and distracts the client from the blood.

-h.

Re: How 'bout these?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:29 am Reply with quote
Kaa

webhill wrote:
The other thing that I thought of while listening to the show was something about the use of expletives - obscenities, really - in a professional setting. The Nerds discussed the use of such words in school, and how they wouldn't use the F word, for example, in the classroom (heaven forbid!) Smile

Heh...I used to work at a steel mill. I'll just let your mind fill in the blanks, there. It was...an experience. That was the first place I ever cursed in the workplace. You sort of had to, or no one took you seriously.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
fiveofsix

What does American beer have in common with sex in a canoe?

Itís both fucking near water.
Re: Hereís a good one
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Dave

fiveofsix wrote:
What does American beer have in common with sex in a canoe?

Itís both fucking near water.

That's a good one!

I'm trying to recall where I first heard it. Seems like I associate an Australian accent with that one--although I appreciate the sentiment most when I transition from German beer to American "beer."

Re: Hereís a good one
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:21 am Reply with quote
RabiAkiva

Dave wrote:
I appreciate the sentiment most when I transition from German beer to American "beer."

I suppose, David, that is the moment you get... pissed. Wink

Uses of the word...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
Amber

I'm sure a lot of you will have already come across a document such as this, but it's a favourite of mine so I thought I'd share it just for a laugh -

http://justin.justnet.com.au/rudestuff/uses-of-the-word-fuck.html

it's a fucking versatile little word!

I was interested to hear your ideas about "bloody" - I've never considered it a strong expletive, but more middle range. Don't know if that's just because I'm an Aussie Wink

The thing I love about language is its fluidity. Words gain or lose strength depending on usage. For example, "damn" used to be quite strong, but I wouldn't say it is now. "Fuck" is losing its strength, possibly to be replaced by "cunt" Very Happy sorry, I just wanted to chuck that one in for y'all!
Re: Uses of the word...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
Kaa

Amber wrote:
I just wanted to chuck that one in for y'all!

"Y'all"? Are you from southern Australia? Smile

I honestly wasn't aware anyone outside the southern states of the US used the word "y'all."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Amber

Kaa wrote:

"Y'all"? Are you from southern Australia? Smile

I honestly wasn't aware anyone outside the southern states of the US used the word "y'all."

hehehe...such is the cross-cultural world we live in. I don't use "y'all" in my daily speech, but I am aware of the term and will throw it in every now and then when I'm aiming for a more casual tone.

I guess I could've said (typed?) "all of youse" which is the most likely matching Australianism, but to tell the truth, I prefer "y'all" Very Happy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:39 am Reply with quote
Dave

You know, it just occurred to me that "y'all" is not very far from "ye," which is the old form of familiar plural second person that we don't use anymore.

So maybe it's just a "natural" thing for English speakers to say.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:54 am Reply with quote
Amber

Dave wrote:
You know, it just occurred to me that "y'all" is not very far from "ye," which is the old form of familiar plural second person that we don't use anymore.

So maybe it's just a "natural" thing for English speakers to say.

Laughing Humans are constantly on the look-out for the simplest way to do things, lazy buggers that we are! in Australia we have an informal plural second person "yas" (pronounced ya'z) which is used primarily whilst farewelling, ie. "see yas!" or "see yas later". Seems like there's always a need to distinguish between the singular and the plural second person. I was talking to someone about this the other day, and he considered it a mark of politeness to include everyone (thus using a plural version) in case someone misinterpreted the grammatically correct form and thought you were snubbing them.

Anyway, getting back to expletives... I know several people who use "fucken'" instead of "um" so, actually using a rude word as a filler word. Of course, they only use this style whilst amongst their own peer group - never in front of parents!! Smile
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Will

A few tidbits, because it's fun...

When I was a teenager, we would sometimes string together words creatively. I remember my mom not being too happy when she heard me say, "Jesus Hellshit!"

I once placed an order from a catalog for pencils that said "Fucking Son of a Bitch" on them, just because I thought it would be funny. I got a note back from the company in what looked like an old lady's handwriting that said (paraphrasing), "We do not print language like that you requested on your pencils and have therefore cancelled your order."

When my son was about two years old, we noticed that when he said "dump truck," it sounded like "dumb fuck." When we were over at my friend Jim's house, we asked our son to say, "Jim is a dump truck." He complied.

Songs with rude/expletive words as shock value are kind of fun sometimes. When I was a kid I remember my parents laughing hard at a song by Harry Nilsson called "You're Breaking My Heart," which had the lines, if I'm recalling it correctly, "You're breakin' my heart; you've torn it apart; so fuck you." On the recent release by Jarvis Cocker, there's a song with the line repeated, "Cunts are still running the world." If you aren't expecting it, it causes this "did he really say that" reaction.

Will

Will and Iris podcast:
www.willandiris.org
Expletives (87)
  The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Rude words