Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index Visit our homepage

The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Rude words » Expletives (87) Goto page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
thegooseking

Ahh, 'cunt', hereinafter referred to as that word. I was initially going to only vaguely allude to the word, thinking it might be a bit strong even for this forum, but since others have already broken that taboo...

I learned the hard way not to use that word on the internet. My perception of it is that here in Scotland (and, I believe, also in Australia) it's a fairly offensive word, in England a bit more so, and in the rest of the English-speaking world it seems to be very, very offensive. (Although not in non-English speaking regions - I understand the French equivalent, con, is a comparatively mild insult... but maybe that varies from Francophone region to Francophone region, too!)

Anyway, I was on an IRC chat, and typed a reference to a 'c***' - I did actually use self-censorship, having some idea that it was an offensive word. A moderator said to me "If you use that word again, even censored, you are in serious shit."

That was when I learned that it might be a bit more offensive elsewhere. Though I really had to restrain my sarcastic side from responding with "Surely you mean 'you are in serious s***'"!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
ceconjr

I've read a sentence in a technology-related article once that seems to be fully loaded with expletives. They were explaining about a database tuning technique that would provide a "peregrine-falcon-dive-out-of-the-clouds-and-grab-you" performance =)

Ernani.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quote
thegooseking

I'd just like to turn your attention to New Scientist's Christmas and New Year Special, which is out this week, and has an interesting article about expletives.

It's not exactly as full of cheer as the issue's title would make you hope, detailing as it does what we've learned about swearing from studying Tourette's Syndrome and localised brain damage (as in a stroke) and I confess that my opinion of the article comes from someone with a couple of years studying neuroscience under his belt, but it's an interesting read.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
tristanjay7

Fun fact: The Middle English word for 'rabbit' was something like "cony"/"coney"/"cunny" which is pretty close to a well known expletive. What did Middle English speakers do? Adopted the similar "bunny".
Expletives (87)
  The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Rude words