Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index Visit our homepage

The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Rude words » Rude words that aren't rude...except in context.
Rude words that aren't rude...except in context.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Kaa

I have an example of this and wanted to see if others either have run across similar things or use something similar themselves.

My father was a very nice, kind, non-confrontational kind of man. He was a carpenter/contractor who did work of some kind or another on a good percentage of the homes in our small (population: 1800), southern town. Thus, he couldn't really call a client a bitch behind her back, because it would eventually make it back to her. It would be bad for business.

So he had another term that HE used to mean "bitch" whenever he said it, but others who heard him had no idea that was the sense he meant it in.

The word: Lady.

My mother and I knew that whenever he referred to a female client as a "lady" (for example, "this lady wants me to redo the brick wall we just finished") that he meant was "bitch" or perhaps something a bit worse.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
ptillen

My b-word: "dame".
I think it has a nice slightly archaic ring to it (like 1940's), and you can use that initial D in a really satisfying percussive way.
Rude words that aren't rude...except in context.
  The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Rude words