Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index Visit our homepage

The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Grammar » Pronoun or adjective?
Pronoun or adjective?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
thegooseking

Wikipedia says that 'my' and 'mine' are two forms of possessive case personal pronouns. I can understand 'mine' being a pronoun, but 'my' doesn't seem to fit the function of a pronoun as I see it.

I've read that the Russian equivalents of 'my' (мой, моя and моё* depending on the gender of the noun) are described as possessional adjectives. The fact that comparative grammatical rules can't always be simply transplanted between languages notwithstanding, describing 'my' as an adjective makes a lot more sense to me.

What do you think?

* In case anybody's browser has difficulty with Cyrillic characters, that's 'moy', 'moya' and 'moyo'.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:01 am Reply with quote
Mister Micawber

The usual escape from this conundrum is to refer to my as a personal pronoun serving as a possessive adjective. My is pronomial, of course, because it represents Mr Micawber's; it just won't stand alone without a noun hovering soon after it.
Pronoun or adjective?
  The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Grammar