Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index Visit our homepage

The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Regional speech » Unknown Hinson and Squidbillies - the deep south
Unknown Hinson and Squidbillies - the deep south
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Marji4x

Hi there! I'm new to this forum but I've been listening for about a month now. One of the shows on regional idioms brought to mind a character from a show I work on down here in Atlanta for Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. It's a pretty raunchy show called Squidbillies about a family of squids in the north Georgia mountains.

The main character, Early Cuyler is voiced by a local singer/ songwriter named Unknown Hinson who we at the studio have all become big fans of!

His way of saying things is great as he has a very deeply redneck/ southern accent. Especially in the show he finds ways of butchering words, for example when he is teaching his son to drive a car he reminds him that " you need to lookify and checkify your blind spot" or when he is trying to be helpful he asks "How can I be of assistification? ...assistiloric....helpignate?"

But please have a listen yourself, you have to hear his inflection and tone to really appreciate the genius of that voice!

Unknown Hinson's website can be found at www.unknownhinson.com. There's clips of his sayings throughout. Squidbillies airs on Adult Swim usually after midnight. Check www.adultswim.com as the times change. You can also usually download a clip from the show.

Be forewarned, it IS an Adult Swim show so there is a lot of questionable content.

~marji

The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Regional speech