Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index Visit our homepage

The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Regional speech » Furniture Terms--Bureau
Furniture Terms--Bureau
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
Blumengarten

I was relating a humorous story involving my impatient two year old and a piece of furniture she was waiting on me to build for her, when a co-worker corrected me. I was calling it a "bureau," which she said was an out of date term, with "chest of drawers" or "dresser" being the current equivalent.

Living in Central Florida now, but growing up in the Northeast, I always heard "bureau." When I told my wife, also a fellow transplant from the Northeast, she thought it might be a case of regional speech.

So the question I pose to you (along with the obvious, what do you call the piece of furniture you place in a room to hold clothing you do not hang up in your closet?), is the "bureau" versus "chest of drawers"/"dresser" issue one of regional speech, or did I use an anachronistic term?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Dave

Having grown up in western North Carolina, I would say the most common term I heard was "chest of drawers," followed closely by "dresser." However, "bureau" wouldn't have sounded completely exotic and foreign to us.

My brother might chime in on this with a differing memory.

http://davesmidlife.com
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote
thegooseking

To me, a bureau is a chest of drawers which has a desk at the top of it (the French word bureau means 'desk'). If it has a desk, it's a bureau, if not, it's not. To me it seems less of an outdated term, and more of a term for a specific type of chest of drawers. I think the drawers would be less likely used to hold clothing and more likely used to hold papers and such (though I have myself used a bureau to hold clothing when I was renting a small room in which it was the only available storage space).

I don't know if this is regional. If it is, I couldn't say what region. We have a bureau (in this sense) at my family's home, which is in Scotland, though it might have been called that because my grandmother was from British Columbia.

The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Regional speech