Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index Visit our homepage

The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Regional speech » Hotter than...
Hotter than...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
iuchiban

One of my favorite comparisons has always been, "Hotter than a two buck (or dollar) pistol." But I have some friends that like to go crazy with this kind of description (hotter than a habanareo in hell, etc)...

I haven't ever heard people use the pistol phrase outside of my area though, and I get confused looks from my friends from CA when I say it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:48 am Reply with quote
katyly

I have always loved the "hotter than..." phrases because they're talking about the heat, or conversely something stolen. In my family although we recognize puns are the lowest form of humor, we still partake in them at every occasion!

But living in Minnesota, we don't have many of them up here. Instead, people just say "Hot enough for ya?" which is less interesting (to me). I think that's because generally it's cold here.

So my favorite of those because it's both funny and makes me feel a little naughty is "colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
masked_muffin

katyly wrote:

So my favorite of those because it's both funny and makes me feel a little naughty is "colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra".

That reminded me of one I read in Gregory Maguire's Wicked: "Colder than a witch's left tit".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
jmartin

I like "Hotter than a goat's butt in a pepper patch." As for cold sayings, I grew up hearing "colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra" and "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey." Also "colder than a well digger's butt."

Hotter than
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
curiouser

blue blazes, which I thought was very peculiar when I heard it as a little kid, not yet having seen blue fire.

This actually makes sense scientifically since light of shorter wavelength is emitted by hotter sources, and blue light has the shortest wavelength of the visible spectrum. (OK, the truth in physics law requires me to say that it's really violet, but physicists tend to refer to the end of the spectrum that includes violet as the blue end. This is because of how our eyes are made. We have three kinds of cones, the color sensing cells in our eyes. They are sensitive to red, green, and blue light. Every color we see is some combination of red, green, and blue. Yes, even yellow. Therefore, physicists talk about three colors as if their all parents had been terribly poor and could only afford to buy them the three-Crayola set: red, green, and blue.) No cornflower, periwinkle, or raw siena for us, please.

So hotter than red hot, even hotter than white hot, is blue hot. (Or, for purists, violet hot.)
madder than...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:45 am Reply with quote
Bloomer

Whistleblower: Tough customer won't end siege of Castle
By James Eli Shiffer; Minneapolis Star Tribune; June 14, 2009

It was after midnight when Ariel Wade rolled into the drive-through at the 24-hour White Castle, one block from the State Capitol. Wade rolled away "madder than fish grease" after the staff refused to hand over any burgers.

The reason: She was riding in an electric mobility scooter. The drive-throughs are for licensed motor vehicles only. White Castle says it's a safety measure that's standard in the industry, to keep pedestrians from getting creamed by cars.

But Wade, who uses the scooter because of degenerative arthritis in her back, says the policy discriminates against people who don't or can't drive. The White Castle dining room closed at 11 p.m., so she had no choice but to order her Slyders in the drive-through.

...The confrontation on Rice Street pits the venerable 418-restaurant straight-edged hamburger chain based in Columbus, Ohio, against a onetime exotic dancer from New Orleans who until recently worked selling bingo tickets at a St. Paul bar....

[A Southern regionalism?]
Hotter than...
  The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Regional speech