Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index Visit our homepage

The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Literature » What is the last book you reread? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
What is the last book you reread?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:23 am Reply with quote
RabiAkiva

I have nearly finished 'The Moor's last Sigh' (Salman Rushdie) a second time. Loved it even better on the second read.
Thomas Mann said you have to read a book at least twice. My wife never reads books more than once, but I myself am an avert rereader. How do you people feel about reading more than once. And what is a book you keep reading?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote
iuchiban

I hardly ever read books more than once, but the last book that I read a second time was House of Leves by Mark Z Danielewski. Can't wait till his new one comes out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:06 am Reply with quote
Dave

This will show you the arcane and checkered nature of my intellectual interests.

The last book I re-read was The Dai Vernon Book of Magic. The last before that was The Expert at the Card Table, by S.W. Erdnase.

http://davesmidlife.com
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
felika

though i used to read books up to around 10 times when i was a kid, i gave up on that and hardly ever read a book even twice, nowadays. i did reread some books i read at school though, and i must say, it was a very different experience. the last book i reread was 'the physicists' (die physiker) by friedrich d?rrenmatt.
there is another type of books i still reread - poems. i actually never read them from the beginning all the way to the end, but rather go back and forth through them, so i end up rereading most of the poems before i finish the book. however, after a while i get back to these books again. the last ones i reread were 'gelassen atmet der tag' by rose ausl?nder and 'lebensschatten' by erich fried.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
RabiAkiva

aaah D?rrenmatt; that brings me back to my German learning days at secondary school. 'Der Richter und sein Henker' is D?rrenmatt's right?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:18 pm Reply with quote
felika

yap, that's right. just found it sitting on my shelf right next to 'die physiker'.. maybe i should give it another chance! Smile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
masked_muffin

Currently, I'm re-reading Othello, but that's because I need to read it for a Shakespeare program I'm going into. Last book I reread was Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exup?ry. Though I'm not sure if it counts as a reread since I first read it in English.

I used to never reread books, as I always just checked them out from the library. But recently, now that I've been finding good books for cheap at book sales, I've started rereading books. Although I don't believe that it is necessary to read every book twice, many books are better grasped by a second read-through.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote
RabiAkiva

Le petit prince, certainly is worth a reread!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Digger

I reread The Elements of Style (Strunk & White) last night. Many would probably argue that it's a book to be used for reference, not for nighttime reading; still, I'm such a fan of Strunk's mildly unpleasant demeanor:
Quote:
Flammable. An oddity, chiefly useful in saving lives. The common word meaning "combustible" is inflammable. But some people are thrown off by the in- and think inflammable means "Not combustible." For this reason, trucks carrying gasoline or explosives are now marked FLAMMABLE. Unless you are operating such a truck and hence are concerned with the safety of children and illiterates, use inflammable.

Brilliant.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Feedmoo

I've never re-read a book. It tires me to even think about it. Is it as enjoyable? Someone sell me on this.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:48 am Reply with quote
RabiAkiva

I would say repetition is rather a default. I notice with my children they read their books over and over again. I can see teachers use educational material over and over again. And religious people read their texts (like the Bible) without stop even though they completed it ages ago.

First of all, repetition is a learning method and so, if one wants to grab the essence of a book, repetition is one of the ways to go. In addition, with complex texts, there is simply no chance you will grasp every layer or even the essential layers at first read. This is why Thomas Mann wanted everybpdy to read books at least twice. The second time round, one knows what is coming and therefore becomes aware of the structure of the story, for example recognizes patterns right from the start.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:43 am Reply with quote
benconservato

Funny, I am in the process of rereading books I read as a young adult / teenager to see if I have the same impression of them. The last I reread was "Bliss" by Peter Carey. Such a good book. The next is "To Kill a Mockingbird" partly to remember and the other half is a curiosity as to why it was banned from the school ciriculum in Australia recently.

I frequently reread "Franny and Zooey" by J.D Sallinger.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Leonie

Hello

I agree with Thomas Mann. Good books can be reread again and again. My favourite book I have read several times is "The name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco. Every time I read it I can find new sections and this is quite exciting. Umberto Eco is a great writer. Meanwhile I read it both in German and English and I have to admit the English version is even better than the German one. Especially the statements by the main character William of Baskerville. Does anybody agree?

wishes
Leonie
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:00 pm Reply with quote
RabiAkiva

Yes indeed, 'the name of the rose' is one of those books I have to recommend for re-reading. I have read it at least three times. Other books by Eco I liked were 'Foucault's pendulum' and 'Baudolino'. I think the last one is my favorite among Eco's books.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:32 am Reply with quote
Leonie

Mentioning Eco's Baudolino I have remembered that I have got this book at home. I often buy books because I think they are interesting and sometimes it happens that I forget to read them. Your recommendation made me curious and as soon as I have finished the Lemony Snicket Series "A series of unfortunate events" I am going to read "Baudolino".
What is the last book you reread?
  The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Literature