Register FAQ Memberlist Search The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index Visit our homepage

The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Literature » What is the last book you reread? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote
benconservato

RabiAkiva wrote:
Yes indeed, 'the name of the rose' is one of those books I have to recommend for re-reading. I have read it at least three times. Other books by Eco I liked were 'Foucault's pendulum' and 'Baudolino'. I think the last one is my favorite among Eco's books.

Yes, I have read 'Foucault's Pendulum' twice and have every intention of reading it again... such a good book, so much to uncover.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:13 am Reply with quote
RabiAkiva

benconservato wrote:
RabiAkiva wrote:
Yes indeed, 'the name of the rose' is one of those books I have to recommend for re-reading. I have read it at least three times. Other books by Eco I liked were 'Foucault's pendulum' and 'Baudolino'. I think the last one is my favorite among Eco's books.

Yes, I have read 'Foucault's Pendulum' twice and have every intention of reading it again... such a good book, so much to uncover.

When I read 'the Da Vinci code' I found it to be an abrigded, pulpified, childish sort of 'Foucault's pendulum'. There is a price to subtlety and there is a price to best seller status.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:28 am Reply with quote
julie

I think the last book I reread was the Lord of the Rings (OK it's three books, but I was reading the big omnibus edition. ) Back when the movies came out. I don't reread very often because I don't have enough time to read in general.

Oh there was one more recent. I reread (actually a new edition) the Lonely Planet Germany (my favorite German travel guide) last summer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Megamatt

H2G2 series. Once a year usually. That's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series for the uninitiated. Wink

By the way...so many word nerds and Dave is the only one who remembered to italicize his book title. Tsk, tsk!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Dave

Megamatt wrote:

By the way...so many word nerds and Dave is the only one who remembered to italicize his book title. Tsk, tsk!

Well, that's what being a nerd is all about!

I just started re-reading The Official Rules of Baseball, Illustrated by David Nemec. It goes through the official rule book of baseball and tells stories about how and why this or that rule was originally developed. Wonderful history of the game, excellent stories. And the complete, unabridged official rules are all together in the appendix.

This is a fantastic book for baseball nerds.

http://davesmidlife.com
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:43 pm Reply with quote
knitwit

Although I don't reread books often, two that come to mind are Truman Capote's "Other Voices, Other Rooms" and Bernard Malamud's "The Assistant". (I *heart* that book!)
Why reread a book?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
knitwit

In response to Feedmoo ("someone sell me on this"), I find that I respond differently to a book depending on when I read it. During a subsequent reading, a book may not touch me in the same way as it did the first time around; I may respond differently to it; and I may get a whole new meaning from it.
thanks for tip on Illustrated Baseball Rules
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Susan

I bought two and my family is devouring one and made a gift to my sons baseball coach of the other. It's GREAT! I was reading it out loud to my husband and son in the car and everyone at rapt attention. It right up this family's alley and thanks for mentioning. A really fun book!
Re: thanks for tip on Illustrated Baseball Rules
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Dave

Susan wrote:
I bought two and my family is devouring one and made a gift to my sons baseball coach of the other. It's GREAT! I was reading it out loud to my husband and son in the car and everyone at rapt attention. It right up this family's alley and thanks for mentioning. A really fun book!

I'm about halfway through reading it the second time. It's better the second time. I'm taking my time.

Quite a nice piece of work. I only discovered it this year, although I think Nemec did an earlier edition some years ago--not sure about that.

http://davesmidlife.com
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
pdejager

Feedmoo wrote:
I've never re-read a book. It tires me to even think about it. Is it as enjoyable? Someone sell me on this.

There are several books I reread from time to time, some on almost a concious schedule.

Why? Several reasons... here are two mundane reasons

1) Pure enjoyment - revisiting a author and the feelings they envoke with their words. Heinlein, Pangborn and Eric Frank Russell come to mind. As memory fades... this becomes even more enjoyable!!! (and sadly necessary)

2) Deeper understanding - Some books contain so much that a re-reading allows you to pull more from the text. Godel, Escher and Bach by Hoftstader is my best example. I return to this every 2-3 years. Another is Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Too much to assimilate in a single sitting.

And then a more subtle one

3) As a self measurement of how I'm changing - Some books have a profund impact on your thinking. Going back to those books to measure your youthful response to the older, can't claim wiser, you is an interesting exercise. For one in that category I'll throw in Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
RabiAkiva

pdejager wrote:

There are several books I reread from time to time, some on almost a conscious schedule.

Why? Several reasons... here are two mundane reasons

1) Pure enjoyment - revisiting a author and the feelings they envoke with their words. Heinlein, Pangborn and Eric Frank Russell come to mind. As memory fades... this becomes even more enjoyable!!! (and sadly necessary)

2) Deeper understanding - Some books contain so much that a re-reading allows you to pull more from the text. Godel, Escher and Bach by Hoftstader is my best example. I return to this every 2-3 years. Another is Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Too much to assimilate in a single sitting.

And then a more subtle one

3) As a self measurement of how I'm changing - Some books have a profound impact on your thinking. Going back to those books to measure your youthful response to the older, can't claim wiser, you is an interesting exercise. For one in that category I'll throw in Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Yes, yes and yes -- exactly the same reasons I reread books.
And in my list under reason #2, I also have Robert Pirsig's Z&AoMM.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
masked_muffin

Ahh yes, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I shall have to reread that, most of it escaped me the first time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote
jppbl

I am currently rereading The Crucible because I start teaching it in about a week!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:00 am Reply with quote
Brittny

Here's what C.S. Lewis had to say on reading a book only once:

"An unliterary man may be defined as one who reads books once only."
-paragraph 24 of ?On Stories,? in On Stories: and Other Essays on Literature (New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1982), 16

"I can?t imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once."
-letter of February 1932, in Letters to Greeves, 439.

"Clearly one must read every good book at least once every ten years."
-letter of 17 August 1933, in Letters to Greeves, 458

Lest anyone think I am so scholarly to know these quotes, they are from a lecture I heard recently here at BYU by Douglas A. McAllister and I found the references here: http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.php?id=11394&x=58&y=5

I think this is true in many ways. I don't think that we ought to re-read every single book that crosses our path. In my opinion there is too much true quality literature out in the world to spend too much time re-reading that which we have already learned. However, there are certain books that are worth reading again and again because you gain new insights each time you read a book and see different things. The book that I have re-read the most recently is The Book of Mormon, although I can't think of the last secular book that I have re-read. I keep a list on my computer of books that have been recommended to me or that I have seen and thought were intriguing. The list has reached 231 books so if I want to finish it ever I have a lot of reading to do.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Blumengarten

Megamatt wrote:
H2G2 series. Once a year usually. That's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series for the uninitiated. Wink

Being that THe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is the only book in the series I own, it's the one book I re-read the most often (though not as frequently as you). I keep intending to get the compendium of all five of the books in the trilogy (I love saying that), but never got around to it yet.

I do intend to re-read The Tao of Pooh soon. I have re-read it in the past, but only recently found it after moving a few times.
What is the last book you reread?
  The Word Nerds Discussion Forum Index » Literature